The Medical Group Management Association’s most recent MGMA Stat poll asked healthcare leaders, “Have you had a doctor retire unexpectedly in the past year?”
- 28% said yes.
- 72% said no.
Among the healthcare leaders who reported an unexpected retirement:
- Nearly half (45%) said it was related to the pandemic:
- 4% said a doctor retired after a COVID-19 diagnosis.
- 41% said the retirement was pandemic-related, such as burnout, health risks, loss of reimbursement.
- 30% said the retirement was based on non-COVID-19 health reasons.
- 26% said “other,” which included at least one physician who left to pursue alpaca farming.
Continue to MGMA.com to read the full article, and learn more about:
- The gap between physician supply and demand.
- The disconnect between administrators and physicians.
- Better engagement and retention strategies.
Need Help Recruiting Physicians, Physician Leaders, and Advanced Practice Providers?
Jackson Physician Search is an established industry leader in physician recruitment and pioneered the recruitment methodologies standard in the industry today. The firm specializes in the permanent recruitment of physicians, physician leaders and advanced practice providers for hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers and medical groups across the United States. Headquartered in Alpharetta, Ga., the company is recognized for its track record of results built on client trust and transparency of processes and fees. Jackson Physician Search is part of the Jackson Healthcare® family of companies. For more information, visit www.jacksonphysiciansearch.com.